Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

We have a rescue Beagle from Mexico..11 months old and he

Customer Question

We have a rescue Beagle from Mexico..11 months old and he is totally healthy but drinks a lot of water and pees a lot. He was 22 lbs when we got him and now is 25 pounds..we have fed him more to put on a few pounds. He has had all his shots and has been treated for hookworm. Final stool check next week at my vets. My concern is the peeing.
Any suggestions...Thank you in advance!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 months ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Did the vet do a urine test or blood test to see if there is a metabolic issue causing him to urinate more?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No..but that is what I plan to do. Because he is so young, I thought the problem wouldn't be diabetes or kidney disease. I plan to get the urine or blood test. Thanks you!
What could be? Our Beagle sleeps with us and is good all night until we take him out to pee in the am.
How many times a day does he urinate? Is he neutered? Have you measured how much water he drinks in 24 hours?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cancel the phone call.Yes he is neutered. He runs and plays all day with our 3 year old Beagle and drinks water..especially while and after playing..I
haven't measured the amount or how much he urinates..except it is probably every couple of hours. Really drinks water when
playing and after meals...It is the urinating that troubles me...He is not completely housebroken..and if the door is not open to our yard he has a peeing accident right in front of the door. I think he gets where he should relieve himself..but sometimes forgets. During the day..I would say he urinates every couple of hours. At night he is good from our bedtime around 9 or to 5 or 6 in the morning. Sometimes we get up around 12 or 1 and let the dogs our to do there business...if they appear to wanting to go out. We are trying to train him to go out of the doggie door which is in our bedroom and goes to an enclosed doggy run area...but he is not interested. Our other Beagle is not using the door any more..he likes going out in our big these are some of our problems.
Ok thank you,So the first thing you could do is measure his water intake. You will have to offer the dogs water separately.A normal water intake is 1 ml of water per each pound of dog per hour. So if he is 25 pound then he should drink 25 mls per hour. He may drink a little more after exercise. I would measure his water intake for 24 hours.He should also have a urine test to rule out an underlying urinary tract infection. If he did have a urinary tract infection then the inflammation would cause an extreme urgency to go. A urine test would rule that out. The urine test would also indicate if there is glucose in the urine which can be a sign of diabetes. In addition, the urine test can show if the kidneys are working properly and able to concentrate the urine. If either of those are abnormal then blood work would be needed to confirm a diagnosis.You can not really go by his ability to hold his urine while he is sleeping. If they leak urine when sleeping then that is "urinary incontinence" due to weak sphincter muscles holding the urine in.So I would start with measuring his water intake and having a urine test done. Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?