Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

She is drinking more, releasing urine when she gets up, has

Customer Question

she is drinking more, releasing urine when she gets up, has difficulty getting up and weakness in her rear end. She is less active and seems sad. Recently she was attacked by a pitbull (she is a collie and received pucncture wounds in her head but no tearing. The vet thinks its cauda equina syndrome. at first we thought cushings but her bloodwork was nirmal. No UTI present either. When she put the thermometer in her anus there was no tightening and when she raised the tail to do it, the dog collapsed into a sit. The do is a 9 year old collie who was raised on raw diet and best supplements, receives regular chiropractic and does agility freestyle pet therapy and obedience,. She is in good shape. We also got a puppy 6 months ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the collie. What is the collie's name?
Customer: Leah
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leah?
Customer: She has responded well to homeopathy and essential oil treatment- we were able to almost reverse her arthritis in her left carpus from laser treatment and supplements and pt so she has no more limp
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am so sorry to hear you are going through this with your dog. Cauda Equina syndrome (which is actually a complex of many different possible causes which really have to do with knowing the problem is in the lubosacral area of the spine) is possible. Consultation with a neurologist and an MRI scan would be the most definitive way to know this is the cause and what exactly is causing it. In some cases the problem may be treatable; this consultation with the specialist is particular important if you want her to return to agility or have that as an option. It would be a consult to know if surgery would be indicated versus conservative therapy with pain relief (non steroidal anti-inflammatory medication work best in this area although some dogs need something else in addition; I am not sure any homeopathy will help reduce the pain and spinal inflammation; but acupuncture might really help with pain relief) with 6-8 weeks of exercise restriction and confinement. In the case of surgery we do not want to wait until there is fecal and urinary incontinence before this is considered since the prognosis for return to function is lower to have return of those functions once they are lost.Sometimes understanding prognosis with this issue can be helpful to make decisions. Prognosis is inversely proportional to the duration and severity of clinical signs. Dogs with mild signs (e.g. pain, gait abnormalities) usually improve with rest and pain management. However, some of these dogs eventually need surgery. The recovery rate with conservative management is 24-50%. Unfortunately, abnormalities found on diagnostic imaging are not good prognostic indicators to tell us the outcome or severity. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey