Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog is 15 years old and has a bad cough... He is in lassix...

Customer Question

My dog is 15 years old and has a bad cough... He is in lassix... Should I bring him in the middle of the night to vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is coughing up white foam everywhere. Just don't have a 24 hour vet close by. Should I get in car and take him now...
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. If he is coughing up white foam, then yes you should take him in to an ER vet. It sounds like he is in congestive heart failure. When we see them coughing up foam, we really need to treat them with IV lasix doses, oxygen and meds to help with the blood pressure. This is a life threatening situation, and we lose a lot of these dogs that preent coughing up foam. The best chance at survival, though, is aggressive care. Best of luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. On the way to the vet now. He stopped coughing temporarily but he just seems exhausted.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Good, some oxygen and Lasix should do him well. The less stress the better to pull through this. Here's a nice write up on heart failure therapy:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1968
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He was awesome! Thank you! Very comforting in the middle of the night with no one to turn to. Dog is on two medications and is doing better.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the update and the kind words. I'm glad he's doing better!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?