Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Eat Feces at the park 4 h ago. Threw up feces, food 1 h ago.

Customer Question

Eat Feces at the park 4 h ago. Threw up feces, food 1 h ago. She normally doesn't drool, but is doing so copiously now.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: She is breathing, can open her mouth and in apparent distress.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maggie, 1 year old. She is a miniature schnauzer.
JA: How old is Maggie, 1 Year Old?
Customer: Hi Pearl, this is Pablo.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie, 1 Year Old?
Customer: Yes, 1 year old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Based on Maggie's dietary indiscretion at the park, the drooling isn't unexpected. It is a sign of nausea and fits with her vomiting after eating feces. In this case, we'd want to just take some steps to soothe her poor stomach and get her settled. To start, if she has just vomiting, we will need to rest her stomach for a few hours. Food should be withheld but we can offer small sips of water. Once she is a bit more settled, you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication. Though if she can and steadies, we can plan to start a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. Finally, since these feces she ate will be full of bacteria, we may want to consider using an OTC canine probiotic (ie Fortiflora) for the next few days. This will just help bolus her good gut bacteria to help settle her stomach and also offset any diarrhea we may see as she digests all this foreign bacteria from these feces. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )