Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He has a pc.of poop stuck half in and half our and he smells

Customer Question

He has a pc.of poop stuck half in and half our and he smells like gasoline
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy. We rescued him about 10 years ago and they didn't know exactly how old he was then....poetically 3-5 years old then
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?
Customer: He's lost his hearing and losing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: And is losing his sight
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Buddy's odor may be one of uremia - the build up of uremic toxins in his blood stream because his kidneys have failed. (The odor of acetone (nail polish remover) is associated with advanced (ketoacidotic) diabetes mellitus.) Any odor so unusual and detectable implies a severe metabolic disorder that will need to be clarified by Buddy's vet by performing a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of fasted blood and urine tests. Has Buddy been eating and drinking? More or less than usual? Are there any other symptoms to report - vomiting, diarrhea, increased respiratory rate, pale mucous membranes, tongue, or gums?