Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I adopted my lab mix Charlie last month and the rescue

Customer Question

Hi , I adopted my lab mix Charlie last month and the rescue told me that he was neutered but each time I saw him walk, I noticed a sack between his back legs. They told me that he was neutered the untraditional way (not done when he was a puppy...he is between 2 and 3 years old now).
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: His obedience training instructor even mentioned to me after class tonight that it looks like he is not neutered. Would there be a wound on his foot if he was neutered?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charlie but his shelter name was Mr. Brown
JA: Thanks. I like it also.
Customer: What should I do?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr. Brown?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!First, congratulations on your new addition! I hope you have many happy years together :)If he was recently neutered as an adult it is common for the scrotum to appear swollen and in some cases non neutered. Often a rescue will offer a free veterinary exam with adoption so I would determine if this is the case to have hime evaluated and ensure he was in fact neutered.There is also an infrequent procedure that is a "chemical" neutering in which medications are injected into the testicle to sterilize a pet. If this is the case your veterinarian can review the paperwork from the adoption to rule this in/ out. Along with an examination and sometimes a testosterone level or even an evaluation of urine to rule out sperm in the urine may be necessary.But an adult dog neutered will have a pronounced scrotum even after being neutered and this can be normal, may not resolve or can take several months to recede to what is expected for a neutered dogI would start with an examination by a veterinarian along with review of his medical records of adoption and ensure this is the case for CharliePlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Hi Becky,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman