Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My fiv emonth old golden retriever just ate about a half an

Customer Question

My fiv emonth old golden retriever just ate about a half an inch by 1/4 inch of a rubber ball about a half hour ago I dont know if she chewed it in pieces or not was wondering if it would pass or what
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kaci
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kaci?
Customer: 40lbs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!If Kaci is 40 pounds and ingested 1/4 inch of a rubber ball it should pass without incident at this size. If it were 1+ inch then I would be more concerned. There are precautions you can take tonight though 1.) Feed a bulky meal of white rice and lean boiled meat to help the piece pass2.) Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion3.) In about 2 hours repeat the meal which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through4.) Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if they pass on their own. If there is any vomiting, lethargy, reduced appetite then please seek medical attention... Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes to assist you
Good morning, I wanted to check in on you and your Golden to see if everything is going well so far? I would love an update when you are able... If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!