Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

JA: . What do you want help with? Customer:

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: My dog Barkley a labradoodle and is acting very weird and strange. He's very disoriented and almost like he's drunk. He got into some trash this morning but I didn't see anything of concern or that could be toxic. Should I take him to the vet? He did throw up once but still is trying to act like his normal self and happy but just unable to do so because he's so disoriented.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Did you see what Barkley ate?
Customer: Yes, he ate some used napkins, strawberry heads/ leafs, and some left over rice and tofu. There was a lot of trash he did rummage through and possibly could have ate something els. But primarily there was only wrappers and about a day and two day old vegetables.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Barkley?
Customer: No I don't believe so, his bowl moments are still solidify the wobbles and vomitting
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How old is he? 2- Does he have a head tilt? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello he is 2 years old and and his head is tilted a little but he still responds well when I speak to him and tried to function normal but unable due to his lack of balance.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No pre existing medical conditions
1- Can you take a look inside his ears for evidence of an infection like: Redness, bad odor, discharge, etc.? 2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes,
His ears are completely clear of anything like redness, order, discharge, etc. Secondly his gums all around are pink.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No Rush,
Thank you so much.
Friend, symptoms of disorientation can be caused by many different medical conditions that affect dogs. In a young dog like Barkely common causes are: Toxicity (medications???), infections, ingestion of a foreign body and less likely cardiovascular disease. Sometimes the patient may have neuromuscular disorders like a pinched nerve along the back and the owner may confuse difficulty walking secondary to a pinched nerve with disorientation. Unfortunately in this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having him checked by ER veterinarian for a hands on examination important to rule out things like cardiovascular disease or neuromuscular disorders. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.