Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He's been sneezing and then gags. been doing this :

Customer Question

he's been sneezing and then gags. been doing this for months
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jake, 14 years old
JA: How old is Jake, 14 Years Old?
Customer: yes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jake, 14 Years Old?
Customer: I think this started after I boarded him for 8 days
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Having been recently boarded is an important clue when sneezing and coughing arise because infectious tracheobronchitis, parainfluenza and influenza viruses are more likely to be contracted where other dogs congregate. What's alarming, however, is that simple infections contracted in this manner usually remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks. If Jake has been symptomatic for months, I have to consider that he hasn't been able to shake such an infection, an infection has now colonized his lower respiratory tract causing a pneumonia, bronchitits, and/or pleuritis, or his symptoms aren't related to his boarding but, instead, to disorders more commonly seen in the elderly dog such as inflammatory polyps or neoplasia (cancer) in the nasopharyngeal area or sinuses. My approach would be to initially X-ray the chest of such a patient. If nothing untoward were seen, an antibiotic of choice when addressing infectious tracheobronchitis such as doxycycline or amoxicillin/clavulanate would be prescribed to be given for 2-4 weeks. If a positive change weren't seen, advanced diagnostics in the form of scoping and biopsy of the nasopharyngeal area and/or a tracheal/bronchial wash would be considered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.