Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My Bernese mountain dog has environmental allergies. He was

Customer Question

My Bernese mountain dog has environmental allergies. He was on Zyrtec but was prone to ear infections. Our vet prescribed him Apoquel, but he is the small percentage that has GI upset. I was wondering if there is any holistic alternative?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. There are a number of dogs with GI upset from Apoquel. In those dogs, we can use a lower dose and still get the effects we want. I would try that route first to see if it works at 1/2 of a label dose. There is not really a holistic alternative that works for allergies. The best treatment is immunotherapy. This is done to help desensitize the body's own response to allergens. The first step is allergy testing. From there, an allergy serum is made up specifically for your dog. It is given as injections or drops under the tongue. Over time, the body is desensitized to these allergens and the signs go away. This is the best way to manage, and eventually cure, allergies in dogs and in people. Here is a nice link on how immunotherapy works: I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Payton. How is everything going?