Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog who is 43 pounds just ate approximately 40 of my 60mg

Customer Question

My dog who is 43 pounds just ate approximately 40 of my 60mg armor thyroid medication
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Niki
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Niki?
Customer: He has no other medical issues
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Please don't be alarmed. Even egregiously large inadvertent ingestion of thyroid supplements aren't likely to harm a dog. 60 mg of the Armour contains 0.038 mg of levothyroxin - the hormone we give to hypothyroid dogs. 40 x 0.038 mg = 1.5 mg which is 3 times what I would dose Niki insignificant overdose which will go unnoticed unless you see transient gastrointestinal distress (inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea) from ingesting such an unusual "food". There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My dog is fine. Thank you so much for your help.
You're welcome. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.