Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.

My dog has a toe injury, the nail was accidentally pulled by

Customer Question

my dog has a toe injury, the nail was accidentally pulled by a thread, it causes her limping now. When I touch her nail she becomes angry... do you have any solution or treatment for this kind of toe injury?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound on her foot..
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this.
Customer: ok thanks!
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Brownies,
7 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brownies?
Customer: I don't think so...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about Brownie's troubles. Injuries to the toe nail can be very painful. The best thing for her is to soak her foot in warm water and Epsom salts. Let her sit or stand with the foot in a shallow pan containing the Epsom salts and water for 10-15 minutes a couple times a day if she'll tolerate it. Epsom salts help to draw out swelling, and therefore decrease the pain and discomfort. It will also clean deep down in the nail bed where you wouldn't be able to get.Afterwards, if she'll let you, place a light wrap on her foot to protect the toe. A baby or child's sock works very well, with one piece of tape around the top to hold it on. You can also give her some aspirin. The dose is one 325mg buffered aspirin per 30lbs. This can be given twice a day, not to exceed 4 days.If she starts to get a foul smelling discharge from the toe, or it becomes more sore than it is now, it is time to take her to the vet possibly for antibiotics.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you might have. Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?