Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My shepherd/collie cross has had 3 ops on her right hind leg

Customer Question

my shepherd/collie cross has had 3 ops on her right hind leg in the 3 months to repair a cruciate ligament. the first in Nov developed a severe infection and exrays revealed the repair had pulled away from the leg wall and had pulled through the hole in the bone.. A second op in January was performed and my vet referred me to a consultant who advised to have the op reversed and simply maintain her on a prolonged course of antibiotics. that was in february, despite the fact she had been on these antibiotic since November last. My concerns are that the infection may have/or could get into the bone. Since then a previous op in her left hind leg (in June 2015) for Cruciate ligament replacement has been compromised by problems with right leg and subsequently failed in March of this year. The consultant wants to re-operate on her right leg-although she is struggling more with the left one and there is nothing to say the infection is cleared. please advise
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
im also concerned she has been on the same antibiotic since November 2015 to date? Is it likely she will become immune to these?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my home telephone number is *****(###) ###-####
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. This is going to be tough to treat. It sounds like it was a TPLO or TTA that was done. Either way, that's a small piece of bone to drill that many holes in. I don't think another surgery is going to stabilize the joint. I would actually look in to doing a knee replacement surgery to save the leg and remove all the infected tissue. This is fairly new in veterinary medicine, but it's out there. The facility that just published an article about it is Purdue University. It may be a drive to take her somewhere, but I think replacement gives her the best chance of saving the leg. The other option that is easier and cheaper, would be amputating the leg. I don't think another TPLO or TTA or stabilization procedure is going to help if there is a long standing infection in the joint and in the cartilage. There's just not enough blood supply to fully cure these infections. When we do treat them medically, we culture the bug and then use antibiotics for at least 4-6 months. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?