Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

She is 15 yrs old. She is a small cocherspaniel. She went deaf

Customer Question

She is 15 yrs old. She is a small cocherspaniel. She went deaf a few yrs ago. Since then, she has a hard time breathing, panting and moreover, has been walking around constantly crying, not crying, but is letting out a painful sigh. Her hind legs are give out too, she gets around, barely. With the breathing, panting painful type sighs daily, not sure what is wrong. I haven't got a lot of money, I am a senior too. Do you have any idea what is wrong with her? I feel like I am making her suffer and don't know whether or not I should have her put down. She is my family and all I have, but feel I am making her suffer as I said. Thank you so much! Vickie H
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Vickie H?
Customer: Not that I can tell, that is plenty. She hyperventilates and has had these horrible screaming cries where she cannot move at all. The cries are loud, as if she is dying. When this happens, she lays in one spot staring into nothing, she simply doesn't move.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just paid my $5.00 good faith plus my $14.00 fee, awaiting vet answer.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Hi Vickie, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your aged cocker spaniel has been having these worrisome behaviors. What is her name?Please allow me 5-10 minutes to type out my thoughts for you.~Dr. Sara
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your patience. I am most worried by your description of those episodes where she is laying down and screaming but is unresponsive. I am concerned that this could be a seizure, which can definitely be a scary thing for both her and for you. Seizures sometimes are random occurrences, but if she's having frequent episodes then she really should be evaluated by a vet. I'm sorry to say this, but the other things that you're describing are quite nonspecific, meaning that they can be caused by a wide array of issues. Sometimes older dogs will pace and pant just from senility and brain aging. Other times those behaviors can be caused by something uncomfortable or painful or a bout of anxiety. These things we would want to address properly in order to keep her as happy and comfortable as possible. If she is all medically cleared, then there are medications that can help with signs of senility. I appreciate that you are strapped financially - most of my clients are as well. Unfortunately it's not possible for us to make a diagnosis online - she needs to be examined. There may be severe health problems that the vet can recognize right away that would allow them to guide you toward euthanasia as the kindest option. On the other hand, it may be that she is doing well medically and just needs some treatment for age related senility or anxiety or potentially a medication to control her seizures if the vet does indeed think that what you're describing are seizure episodes. In regards ***** ***** quality of life and the decision for euthanasia, here are a couple of links to help you place an objective number on a very subjective subject:http://vet.osu.edu/assets/pdf/hospital/companionAnimals/HonoringtheBond/HowDoIKnowWhen.pdfhttp://www.aplb.org/resources/quality-of-life_scale.php Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)