Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

JA: . How can we help? Customer: my 90lbs Lad mix

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: my 90lbs Lad mix is having serious UTI problems trying to pee but cant, and blood is present after urination,
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: can i give him phenazopyride hydrocholoride. 90mg
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: he is 8
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am sorry to hear that your fellow is so uncomfortable. I understand that he is straining, but only passing a small dribble of urine and has blood in his urine.Please do not give him phenazopyridine hydrochloride. Although it is fine for most people it is not well tolerated in dogs and it can cause red blood cell destruction, liver disease, painful muscle inflammation and breakdown, lack of tear production, and neurologic symptoms.Unfortunately dogs are much more sensitive to the over the counter pain medications that we take. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen aren't used in dogs because their effective doses are very close to a toxic dose in dogs. Your fellow needs to see his veterinarian as soon as possible. This may be a simple urinary tract infection, but his symptoms of straining and producing small amounts of bloody urine may also point towards calculi (stones) or a mass obstructing his urinary tract or prostatic disease (infection, abscess or a mass). Dogs that cannot empty their bladder properly get back pressure on their kidneys which may lead to kidney failure.Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****