Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I'm in WA state & vet doesn't open until 9:30. My

Customer Question

Hello , I'm in WA state & vet doesn't open until 9:30. My 3 yr 10 lb male toy fox terrier threw up his undigested dinner @ 9:30 last night and has been drinking water and vomiting Aprox every hour since. He won't sleep and is restless. He drinks large amounts of water & gets sick soon after. No stool problems yet and his sister seems fine. I'm just wondering what steps I can take to help until the vet opens in a couple hours? Chris R
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Rambler. Honestly, the best thing you can do until your vet opens here a little later this morning is to pull up food and water. This is something that may let his stomach settle some. Every time he's drinking, it just stimulates the stomach to vomit. So he's actually getting more dehydrated than if he wasn't drinking and not vomiting. The more he vomits, the more fluids he loses from the saliva he's been swallowing and the stomach secretions that were being produced. When you get to your vet, they can do some blood work and x-rays to see what may be going on. I would take pictures of the vomit you see at home and if he vomits again, try to get a video of it for your vet to view.
I'm hoping for the best for Rambler!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rambler. How is everything going?