Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I took her to the vet and her spinal cord is fine no dislocation.

Customer Question

I took her to the vet and her spinal cord is fine no dislocation. My shih tzu is limping; cray showed her pelvis cage was not symmetrical. She is 13 years old. They gave her pain pills but said nothing can be done. Her limping is still occurring and seems in pain.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound, she was hit by a car last year but they said this would have happened years ago. We were told her previous owner was abusive.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tachi
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Taichi?
Customer: She had kidney stone surgery some years ago. She is currently taking tramadol and liquid pain meds that I cannot remember the name of presently.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Is she still walking on all 4 legs or dragging the rear limbs?How long has she been showing signs?Do you have copies of the x-rays that you could post here for me to look at?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She is walking on all legs but does not stand on the back left.
For the past 3 weeks, but it has gotten progressively worse. We can tell she's is in pain as she will sometimes lay where she stands and needs help to go to the bathroom.Sorry, unfortunately do not have copies of the xray. From the xray hind legs were fine. However she was sitting perfectly straight yet her pelvis cage symmetrical where you could see the full spoon shape of one bone rather than just the curve shape.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not symmetrical *
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks. If it's one leg that she's not using, then you probably need to see an orthopedic surgeon. This is likely either a torn ACL in the knee or a dislocating kneecap (luxating patella) in the knee. Those are the most common causes. A dislocated hip or fracture would have been seen on the x-ray. An ACL or luxating patella can look fairly normal on x-ray other than some arthritis build up. Either of these conditions can lead to non-weight bearing lameness. The treatment is then usually surgical to stabilize the knee and get them walking again.Here is some good info on ACL tears in dogs:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1975and one on luxating patellas:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2448 I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you doctor.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
You're welcome.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?