Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dog, Lab, 11yrs, has droopy red eyes days, 1st left eye,

Customer Question

Dog, Lab, 11yrs, has droopy red eyes for 5 days, 1st left eye, now today right eye; look like 3rd eyelid; whites are ok;
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Guuner; Vet on Sat assumed allergy; gave steriod cream and benedryl since then; no help; He is also on Tramadol - started 1-2 days before 1st red eye seen; also newly diabetic; started on 10 units of Insulin 2X/day; 11 days so far
JA: I'm sorry Guuner has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Guuner?
Customer: went again to Vet yesterday; she says she has never seen case like this before? reffered me to Vet Optho; have appt Moday; want to try to stop before then
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where are you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the reply to my question sent an hour ago; 2AM; 4/28/2016Sebastian CJ Tindall
PO Box 1389
Richland, WA 99352(###) ###-####**@******.***
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you tell me if you're seeing upper lid or lower lid drooping (ptosis)? Are Guuner's pupils of equal size, smaller or larger than usual? Is his face drooping along with his eyelids? I need to be concerned about a bilateral Horner's syndrome as well as facial nerve paralysis in such a patient.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lower lids drooping
Redness in lower corners on muzzle sides
Pupils same size, normal
Just got diabetes 4/14
BG ~500
Getting 10 units insulin from WalMart
Lost 6 lbs in 14 days so clear that's not enough
Having 6 point BG curve done today
Expect results 6:30pm w/ higher dose
Maybe red eye connected to Diab?
Maybe correct higher dose will clear up?
Also was on Truprophen & Tramadol
Stopped those today
Thank you for the additional information. The eye changes aren't consistent with diabetes... nor Horner's syndrome nor facial paralysis. It's possible that the cumulative sedative effect of the narcotics has caused the drooping, however. Simply stopping their administration is the proper test to see if that's so. Yes, 10 units of the usual insulins we prescribe to dogs would be an initial dose for a 40 lb dog and we invariably have to increase the dose from there. Please continue our conversation if you wish. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How serious is Horners sun?
It would be predicated upon the cause. Lesions causing Horner's might be found in the cervical (neck) spinal cord, T1-T3 spinal cord, T1-T3 ventral nerve roots or proximal spinal nerves, in the cranial thoracic sympathetic nerve trunk, cervicothoracic ganglion, middle cervical ganglion, cervical sympathetic trunk, middle ear cavity, or in the retrobulbar space. It can be quite a challenge determining the source of Horner's often necessitating advanced imaging in the form of CT or MRI. Many cases remain idiopathic (unknown cause). Here's a quick synopsis of Horner's for you: http://www.vetbook.org/wiki/dog/index.php?title=Horner%27s_syndrome