Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He is very lethargic and acting strange. He is usually very

Customer Question

He is very lethargic and acting strange. He is usually very energetic but he is doing things like standing and staring at nothing for 10-15 minutes at a time. Sometimes it looks like he wants to vomit but nothing has happened. I have checked outside for something he may have gotten into but haven't found anything. Also checked for vomit of diarrhea anywhere he might have been and found nothing as well.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: His nose is dry and he feels warm but I do not have a thermometer to be sure of his temperature.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Actually, if he is showing signs of wanting to vomit, then his staring may be him focusing on that nausea. That said, if he is non-productive retching, we also have to be wary of something more serious afoot. So, while we'd need to think about GI infections, pancreatitis, and harmful ingestions; if he is trying to vomit but not doing so and especially if his stomach looks bloated, his gums pale, or is sore/hard when you press on it; then we could also have an emergency situation like a gut twist (GDV). So, we need to tread with care. If he has any of those signs, we'd want him seen right away. If he doesn't, then we can try to soothe his stomach and get him comfortable. For that, we can try treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. Though if he can and once that has had time to absorb, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. If he has any of those red flag signs, then we'd want to have him seen urgently. Otherwise, we can try supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet