Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Would it harm my dog if he got 1 25mg of Rimadyl and his meloxidyl

Customer Question

Would it harm my dog if he got 1 25mg of Rimadyl and his meloxidyl together and he's 21 lbs
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: He has a hind leg that's semi broken and I say semi cause he still has movement and feeling in it but we were only able to fix his front leg 1st. He doesn't cry or show pain but I know it hurts cause he limps and I can just tell. The vet gave me the pain mess to help until we can fix him.
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chaelie
JA: Huh?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?
Customer: He was a stray and I found him and felt sorry for him but now he's part of my family.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I paid and waiting
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you were trying to keep Charlie received comfortable and give him both Rimadyl and Meloxidyl (Meloxicam) together.Unfortunately this is very concerning. Ideally these two drugs should never be given at the same time. There should be a 5 to 7 day washout period between different nonsteroidals or nonsteroidals and steroids. If we don't observe a washout period then chances of serious side effects including gastrointestinal ulcers, possibly perforating ulcers, kidney and liver damage, possibly complete failure are much more likely. Minimally we are likely to see loss of appetite, possible vomiting, and diarrhea.If one or both of the drugs were given within the past two hours you might wish to induce vomiting.Give him 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight (2 tablespoons) soaked with some bread chunks or mixed with some ice cream.The take him outside and run him around.If no vomiting in 15 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.If he vomits the pills he should be fine.If he seems at all nauseous even after emptying his stomach it may help to give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/2 of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help him feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and should be used for several days.Then to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed him a bland diet for the next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.Then discuss with your veterinarian when to restart his nonsteroidal pain medication and whether to use a different pain medication in the meantime.If it has been several hours since the medication was given it is too late to induce vomiting.Then I highly recommend using one of the acid reducers as recommended above and consult with his veterinarian to possibly start fluids and gastroprotectant medications.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They weren't. I was JUST ASKING.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Ah, OK, I am so relieved!If you feel his pain isn't being controlled with just a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory then ask your veterinarian to prescribe drugs that can be combined with a nonsteroidal, such as Gabapentin and/or Tramadol.It is perfectly safe to use those drugs with a nonsteroidal, and by doing so we can use lower doses of all of the drugs and control his discomfort much better.Sorry I got very worried when I thought you had used Rimadyl and Meloxidyl together.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara