Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I think she got hold of crystal meth from a friend JA: I'll

Customer Question

I think she got hold of crystal meth from a friend
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: I think she got hold of some crystal meth that a friend had I didn't know they had
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: All over she can't be still and winning she bout to wear her self out
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No not really she just getting real heated up seems like
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious.
Customer: Not that I can see she just looks wore out and can't be still
JA: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: Not at the moment she won't eat or drink
JA: OK, abnormal eating. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gigett .6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gibbet?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A day for answer that maybe to late just tell me what I can to help her now
Anything to make her throw up or what
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How long ago did Gigett swallow this drug { How many minutes or hours ago } ? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not really sure came in and she was acting funny couldn't sit still running around was so exhausted heart beating really really fast
Hello again This sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check your dog over without delay. { and that would be my specific advice } That said I can tell you the following. 1. As will all toxins if you can induce vomiting within the first hour after ingestion to recover the drug then things may be OK, however beyond that time inducing vomiting is not likely to be effective. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK 2. While there can be no guarantees if this was just a small amount of the drug then the chances are you will see symptoms for 24 hours or so and then the dog will slowly recover as the drug works it's way out of her system. 3. Here are some text book numbers to give you an idea of toxicity. At around 0.5 mg of this drug per kg of your dog's bodyweight you might expect to see mild signs of amphetamine toxicity (agitation, hyperactivity, rapid heart rate, panting, muscle tremors). At doses of about 2-3 mg/kg more serious signs start to be seen. 4. Prescription drugs such as acepromazine or chlorpromazine can be given to counteract the effects. Also, a vet can give cyproheptadine (Periactin) orally or rectally dissolved in saline, which may be helpful. 5. If a visit to your vet is not possible for any reason then you can probably buy cyproheptadine without a prescription at a local pharmacy. Here is a link to more about it, including dose rates : LINKI hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
I was just wondering how Gigett is getting on, please update me .... ? Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the crystal meth ingestion ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.