Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

How to get your dog to take bitter liquid medicine JA: I'll

Customer Question

How to get your dog to take bitter liquid medicine
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: She is having some kidney problems and I am trying to give her kidney gold
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rumi-age 11. She is a corgie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rumi-age?
Customer: She was on I-V's for two days when she was sick a couple of weeks ago. The vet didn't give me much hope so I am trying to do everything I can. She had the gold for a couple of days and she started eating. She didn't have ityesterday because I hate to force it down when she is already not feeling good.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm so sorry to hear that Rumi has been diagnosed with kidney disease. I will do my best to help. I understand how difficult it can be to get a pet to take a medication that they don't want. Unfortunately, there's not always an easy answer. Even when compounded with flavoring some medications will always be bitter and the pet won't eat them voluntarily. You can try watering it down (but you'll still need to get the whole amount into her) or mixing it with a teaspoon of canned food or other soft food. Unfortunately, it may still taste terrible enough that she won't eat whatever it is that you've mixed it in. For our patients in the hospital, when we need to administer a liquid medication we place the dropper into the corner of their mouth and squirt the medication into their cheek pouch. We don't open the mouth but rather just part the lips and sneak the dropper into the cheek pouch and empty the dropper. You can follow immediately with another dropper of water or a drink of water from a bowl or a special treat to help minimize the lingering taste.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)