Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dog has labored breathing. This is a relatively young dog

Customer Question

dog has labored breathing. This is a relatively young dog but now snuffles and snores. During the day, spells where he makes horrible sucking noises and tries to cough up something that isn't there.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He is a rescue, exact age not known, about seven. I have been to the vet twice about these respiratory issues without getting much help really. X Rays showed some white areas in pulmonary area, they subscribed antibiotics he has been taking almost a week but no sign of improvement, in fact he is getting worse. Before when at rest on the bed he breathed quietly, now his breathing sounds like someone with a bad cold.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Louis
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Louis?
Customer: I won't be able to see the vet for two days because they had no openings available. I am just trying to find something I can give him in teh meantime which would ease his symptoms. I am wondering if he could be allergic to all the pollen we have now. But this is the first year I have seen the problem like this.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please take a look at this video and let me know if you think that Louis is reverse sneezing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3L4v0W2_Sw If so, you're likely to be correct about inhalant allergies causing inflammation in his nasopharynx.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took my dog to yet another Vet and based on X Rays they think my dog has cancer in his nasal passages and also deeper down. I would like to think it was allergies, but my dog has never had this problem in previous years when the pollen count was high. I am now looking into whether I can afford the cost of a Cat-scan and radiation therapy. So I don't know if there is much you can do for me by email. thanks anyway. Marion Edey
I understand, Marion. Thank you for the update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I listened to the video and he sounds a little but not exactly like that -- he sometimes has a horrible sucking sound. After I first wrote he started bleeding out of one nostril. The chinese herb Yunnan Baiyao seems to be helping with that. He is a little better at least for now.
Epistaxis (nose bleed) certainly is worrisome for cancer in the nose or sinus but this isn't a common finding in such a young dog. Scoping and biopsy of his upper respiratory system is an alternative to a CT. The cost for scoping and biopsy, however, might be equivalent to that advanced imaging technique.