Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She has had her 3 seizure today she has never hap them JA:

Customer Question

She has had her 3 seizure today she has never hap them
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Bluenose pitbull
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: I took her to the vet and not sure but think it's elpise but the med didn't work cause she had another one
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the's name?
Customer: Mine or my dog
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: They said she is healthy so I'm not sure is that normal
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have much Valium can I safely feed her at 65 lbs if she keeps having sezuers the vet gave me a rectum shot but it got wasted during her sezuer didn't insert it right so I feed her 1mg atvain I had orally ?But what if it happens again soon What do I do?vets are closed its late.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Did she had any access to toxins, drugs, or chemicals that you know of?What tests did her vets do?How old is she?When did she last have a seizure? How much Valium did you give?Is the atvain from her vet or someone else's? What milligrams was it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do think she got it anything the vet rain blood work didn't tell me exactly what for and told me that she fine they think it's epilisy she had a 3 viloit seizures yesterday last one was after the vet the put her on phenobarbital but she still had a seizure after her episode I gave her 1 mg of human atvain and she was fine after she is one year old
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,First, I am glad to hear that you don't think she got into anything; especially since it would be a concern if the bloods were normal and she wasn't responding to the anti-seizure medication you were given. That said, if she only just started the medication, its important to know that it can take a week or two for the drug to reach a therapeutic dose in the blood. As well, some dogs will need to have their dose checked and adjusted in the early stages of control before we can get them stable. As well, its important to always remember that dogs with epilepsy aren't cured by their medication but the aim is to reduce the number of seizures they have. So, it is possible for them to have one ( despite their medication but our aim is to reduce that chance once we get them stable. So, if she did just start the medication and had a seizure, this doesn't mean treatment failure just that she isn't up to the ideal Phenobarbital level just yet. Otherwise, we need to avoid using the Ativain if you are using Valium. They are from the same drug class and therefore using them together increases the risk of adverse effects. So, its a case of one or the other but not both. In regards ***** ***** question about the Valium, a 65lb dog usually will have a 32.5mg dose to halt the seizure. Ideally, we'd not want to give this more that every 8 hours, but how often would be based on the situation (of course non-responsive dogs tend to be put onto IV infusions of drugs if they don't respond to the Valium). So, that would be the dose to aim for and hopefully in the next few weeks as her Phenobarb levels stabilize, we will have less need for the Valim all together. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me –I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards,I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the"Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?