Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My Blue Heeler's stomach is very bloated, and he is having

Customer Question

My Blue Heeler's stomach is very bloated, and he is having a hard time walking on his back legs. He went from walking fine, to not being able to get up very easily, and walking on his back legs was very trying for him.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is 1
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gus?
Customer: He got into a container of left over spaghetti today. Other than that he is a very healthy, active dog.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The bloating has gone down, but Gus is still having a very hard time getting up and putting any weight on his back right leg. It almost appears to be signs of hip dysplasia.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Gus. Good that the bloating went down! How much spaghetti did he eat? My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I am sorry you did not get help from an expert before now. I just came online and saw your question. If he is 1, it would be unusual for him to have problems associated with hip dysplasia. Dogs are born with hip dysplasia (malformed hip joints) but the problems from dysplasia are arthritis caused by the malformed joints causing pain, which usually builds up over time and causes problems in older dogs. If you check his gums, are they pink in color? There is a condition called bloat that can be serious, but if he is not looking bloated now, that is good. If he ate a lot of spaghetti, that could make his stomach distend and look bloated, and it will take several hours, if not a day or more, if he ate a large amount, for it to pass. But that should not affect his back legs. I would try some pain medication like tramadol, or anti inflammatory medication like carprofen or metacam to see if that helps his legs. Most over the counter medication for people is not safe for dogs (never give a dog Advil or Aleve; Tylenol is safe once or twice but not long term), but you can try aspirin if you have some. I need to know his weight to give you a safe dose of aspirin. I would not feed him for awhile, but let him have water. Let me know his weight and what other questions you have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
How is Gus doing?