Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

Dog has diarrhea and is there an over the counter medicine

Customer Question

dog has diarrhea and is there an over the counter medicine that can help with it? She ate high quality canned cat food.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.If the diarrhea is just related to eating the cat food and she is still eating well, feeling good, and not vomiting then there are a few things that you can do. A bland diet of white rice and low fat cottage cheese and a probiotic (you can usually find one at your local pet or feed store) will usually clear up the diarrhea in a day or two. If you need something to work faster you can try a dose of Immodium AD. They are 2 mg tablets and a 50 pound dog can have 1 tablet. If she is acting sick, vomiting, not eating or having abdominal pain or if the bland diet and imodium doesn't work then you should take her to a vet for evaluation. I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please don't forget to rate my answer.