How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19658
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 7 pound Maltese at some brownie crumbs and I'm worried

Customer Question

Hi my 7 pound Maltese at some brownie crumbs and I'm worried
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Right now nothing she is acting fine
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No where she just ate some brownie crumbs
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No there is not
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please just respond here
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.
No problem, typing out your answer now ... Regards, *****
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Please don't give this a second thought, just a few brownie crumbs is not going to have any effect, even on a small dog like yours, there is nothing special you need do in this sort of situation, your dog should be just fine. Of course the concern is the chocolate content of the brownies but while chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because :2. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 7 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 4.9 ozs { More than 1/4 pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Other forms of chocolate such as dark chocolate and bakers chocolate can be more toxic but there is still no cause for concern if just a few crumbs were involved.3. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment. 4. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK5. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me furtherRegards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your Maltese is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the brownie crumbs ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She is doing fine.... Thank you for asking
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the update, I did not think a few crumbs would affect her much ... Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.
Hello again, Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that your Maltese has been unaffected by her experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community. Kindest regards, *****