Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

My dog cant climb up onto my bed, he tries but almost seems

Customer Question

My dog cant climb up onto my bed, he tries but almost seems he is too weak to get up. this started a few days ago, and last week he received his rabies shot along with a few others. Is this caused by the shots?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14years and I'd like to help with your question.Vaccines can cause some muscle soreness, but it isn't going to cause the kind of weakness that you are describing. Can you tell me if he just seems weak when he goes to jump or does he seem tired/weak in general?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, yes it is only when he goes to get on an elevated surface such as a bed or couch. He doesn't seem as energetic all of the sudden
There are many things that could be causing the problem... from nerve related problems to systemic (whole body) issues. One concern I have from your description is that he might be anemic. Can you lift his lip and look at his gums to see if they look pale? If they do, you need to get him to a veterinarian. Anemia can be serious. And there is a (pretty rare) form of anemia that can be triggered by vaccines. I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know. If not, please don't forget to rate my answer.