Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

How do I know if my french bulldog is in distress trying to

Customer Question

how do I know if my french bulldog is in distress trying to deliver naturally. This is her second litter, she delivered the first litter naturally.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!The concern of distress in pregnancy with the breed is a real one and there are symptoms of dystocia to monitor for: More than 30 minutes of persistent, strong, abdominal contractions without expulsion of offspringMore than four hours from the onset of stage two (fetuses are pushed out by uterine contractions) to delivery of first offspringMore than two hours between delivery of offspringFailure to commence labor within 24 hours of the drop in rectal temperature - below 99° F (37.2° C)Female cries, displays signs of pain, and constantly licks the vulvar area when contractingProlonged gestation – more than 72 days from the day of first matingDischarge from the vagina (a greenish-black pigment that is produced by the dog's placents), preceding the birth of the first offspring by more than two hours – indicative of premature placental separationPresence of bloody discharge prior to delivery of the first offspring or between fetusesvaginal wall to elicit abdominal straining [feathering]); the lack of this response indicates uterine inertiaI hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today...I am online another 15 minutes to assist you tonight If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!​
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses but hope you are not having issues with the site. I am signing off in a few moments and truly wish you both the best this evening
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.
Good morning, I wanted to check in on you Frenchie to see how your evening went? Did you have to go to the er? I would love an update when you are able. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Hi Savannah,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman