Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My english bulldog has what appears to be a tumor or cyst right

Customer Question

My english bulldog has what appears to be a tumor or cyst right next to her anus. It was only about the size of a quarter but has grown to almost double the size over the past week. Should I take her to her vet?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the English bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Bubbles. And we are really sure as she is a rescue. But we have been told by her vet about 5 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bubbles?
Customer: No. Normal breathing problems but overall very healthy. I wish we knew more of her history, but being a rescue, just happy to have her.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your English Bulldog today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Does it seem to bother her at all? Is she having any problems with defecating?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It seems. But I don't really know. Obviously diet has a lot to with it. Soft dog food easier than hard.But the growth doesn't seem to bother her. She sits on it all the time.I also forgot to mention that it appears to be wet on the outside like it is secreting something.
Okay thanks for the additional information. Does she have any history of scooting? Usually the rule of thumb I follow with masses is if the masses increases in size, or changes form in anyway in a short period of time then I recommend it being tested. It can be tested either by having your veterinarian stick a needle in to gather cells to send to the lab or to have a biopsy performed. One common masses that occur around the anus is called an perianal adenoma which is normally benign but there are some other tumors you do have to worry about that can be associated with the anal gland that can be potentially malignant.
Let me know if you have any further questions?