Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a 9 year old shichzu with a large wart on her lower

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old shichzu with a large wart on her lower back.It looks like cauiflower.Dont have alot of money,to have it removed by a vet.lt looks really ugly.Nobody wants to pet her!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.
Can you upload a photo(s) of this large "wart" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Its skin color and lookks like cauiflower.i dont see a paper clip and im not sure how to upload a pitcure of it.this is a very old tablet im using.my cell phone is not here at this moment
It's undoubtedly one of the sebaceous gland tumors - nodular sebaceous hyperplasia, sebaceous epitheliomas, and sebaceous adenomas. They're benign tumors common in Shih Tzus and are usually solitary, firm, elevated, wartlike or cauliflower-like growths that range from a few millimeters to several centimeters in diameter. Observation without treatment is reasonable. Surgical excision (laser ablation or cryosurgery) is usually curative for cosmetically unacceptable lesions or for lesions that bother the pet or caretaker. The prognosis is good. They're not locally invasive, don't metastasize, and rarely recur after surgical removal. They don't respond to topical therapy, however. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So theres nothing i can do as i explained i didnt have alot of money for a vet this was no help
...but I can't change the fact that these don't respond to conservative care
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Monkey has this ugly mass. Truly, I agree with Dr. Salkin that there's a good chance it's a sebaceous growth like an adenoma. The vast majority of these are of absolutely no concern to the pet meaning that they do not spread, they are not life threatening, and rarely do we need to do anything to treat them. In rare instances a dog can decide to start licking or chewing at one and create a wound from the licking. Aside from that, though, it's a good thing to be a benign mass, even if it is ugly. Typically no treatment is needed at all for sebaceous adenomas. Here are some photos of benign sebaceous masses in dogs:https://www.google.com/search?q=sebaceous+adenoma+dog&espv=2&rlz=1CAACAG_enUS656US656&biw=1366&bih=633&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiPwJC22a3MAhVEdD4KHSonB0EQ_AUIBigB Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)