Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

I have a lab, approx 3yr old. He was wondering outside my

Customer Question

I have a lab, approx 3yr old. He was wondering outside my gate, hungry and dehydrated. I took him in and he has been with me for approx. 1yr. I came home yesterday and could tell that something was wrong with him, something more then just not feeling well. This morning I took him to my verterinarian and he gave him a shot of penicillan and gave me some cephalaxin to give him at home as well as meds for a cough. That was at least 5hrs. ago; I would think that the penicilan would have been working by now. Anyway, the dog is drooling, has really bad breath, and when trying to open his mouth to see inside, he let out a roar. His breathing is very load and he is snoring. There is a drop of blood on the floor from him also and I think it came from his mouth. If it was just a mouth injury, he wouldnt have a fever, and if he was just sick, he wouldn't let out a roar when I was trying to look in his mouth. When it comes to food, he has always been an aggressive dog woofing down his food. Now he is the most gentle dog to feed, just opening his mouth to let you put the food in it. I was thinking that maybe he got a hold of something....a gopher, squirrel, something that maybe bit him to make him sick, and that maybe a partical of bone is stuck in his throat? I don't know....what do you think?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Jack. I do have a few thoughts as to what might be going on with him; please give me a few minutes to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.
I can understand why you might the antibiotic injection would have kicked in by now but it can often take a day or so for antibiotics to be effective against a bacterial infection when present. Based on the description of his behavior as well as the odor emanating from his mouth, the pain and the blood that you found, it sounds as if he may have an abscess or significant infection. If he has the habit of catching and ingesting different critters (such as gophers or squirrels), it's certainly possible that a bone might have penetrated the tissues in his mouth or migrated and that an abscess/infection has developed.Retrobulbar abscesses ( can also develop and pain is usually present when the mouth is opened. Unfortuantely, it would take sedation and a thorough evaluation of the mouth to detect such a problem.In fact, if he doesn't respond to antibiotics within another day and/or worsens, then a recheck may be prudent and he may need to be sedated to determine the source of his discomfort. For now, I'd feed him kibble soaked in water for 10-15 minutes so that it's basically mush or canned food (if he likes it) to which additional water has been added so it's even softer. Hopefully, the antibiotics will start to work against any bacterial infection which may be present. I hope this helps. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.
Hello again,I'm just following up on Jack. How is he doing today? Deb