Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is about 9 months old and she was not acting like herself

Customer Question

My dog is about 9 months old and she was not acting like herself the past few days she quit eating but will drink water this morning there was blood in her kennel and then I saw her try to use the bathroom and when I walked over to where she was it was bright red blood. She is a hybrid and most vets in my area say they do not treat wolf dogs
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I didn't see anything wrong with her physically. She usually plays hard with her dad and sister but the past few days she is not the same. Two days ago she would just lay in her kennel but yesterday she tried to play with them somewhat
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Koyo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Koto?
Customer: I have had her since the day she was born and she is only around her parents and sister in our backyard
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Did you think that the blood was in Koyo's urine or bowel movement? If in her urine (hematuria), a bacterial urinary tract infection is most likely and she'll need a systemic antibiotic prescribed for 10-14 days and her urine would need to checked 2 days after the course of antibiotics was done to make sure that her urinary tract was sterilized. If the blood were in her stool (hematochezia), I would be concerned about intestinal parasites such as hookworms, whipworms, and the protozoan Giardia. Finally, if she's in proestrus - the blood is expected in association with swelling of her vulva until she goes into estrus - the time in her cycle when she'll stand for the male. Please tell me as much as you can about my concerns. You may have to keep looking for a vet willing to see Koyo. There are vets who will see wolf hybrids; you may have to call the local veterinary association for a referral.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?