Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

We have a 10 mo old chiweenie. She is pretty small. We recently

Customer Question

We have a 10 mo old chiweenie. She is pretty small. We recently have been letting our neighbor keep her over night occasionally as he is lonely. One week ago, he brought her home with some kind of injury he could not explain. She seemed dizzy, swaying her head and could not use her back legs, dragging her back body as tried to get her to walk. I rushed her to the vet and they treated her for a sprained back and sent me home with a steroid. She is done with medicine and can walk now but is walking side ways with her back body. Her right eye also looks a little crooked. We are afraid he may have rolled on her in his sleep, possibly causing suffocation but he won't admit. Should I take her back to vet? Give her more recovery time or is there anything that can be done or should we just accept that we may have a brain damaged dog that may never be able to run or walk normal again?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: June
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about June?
Customer: She is eating but does look thinner.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ronald Reupert replied 5 months ago.
Hi I'm this is Dr. Ron...sorry to hear about June. Has June continuing to make daily improvment? Does she seem to have pain in her back? Does she try to move around?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is not. Seems to be about the same for about 5 days. Her bark is different, sounds horse, not playing with kids since it happened. She is walking, using legs, backside going sideways though. She is eating but is thinner.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She does move around, I don't think she's in much pain anymore.
That sounds OK to me. If it was oxygen deprivation with this level of function, I think she will come back to normal. Usually there is some continual improvement for 6 weeks, with slower but gradual improvement until 6 months. The weight loss may be from some muscle loss due to the steroid.I do think the long term prognosis is good from what I am hearing, but it could take a while. It's good she is young...she has more potential for improvement.It does'nt sound like a back problem...I think there would be more pain.
I would limit her exercise until she gets closer to normal. It sounds like she is kind of doing that on her own. Diet can be normal. Be careful of her on beds and furniture...she doesn't have the coordination she did.