Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

It's my son's dog and they saw blood on his penis after he

Customer Question

It's my son's dog and they saw blood on his penis after he went to potty
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your son's dog?
Customer: He is about 13
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear your son's dog has blood from his penis. The primary concern is emptying from the bladder and therefore there is microscopic blood also in his urine There are a handful of causes of urination that has blood in it:1.) A urinary tract infection2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and cause bleeding3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the bleeding. Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine. Your vet will do an examination to evaluate the penis, run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the blood in the urine to get your pet comfortable swiftly Below is more information on this condition in dogs, called hematuria (blood in urine): Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with!If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I hope your son's dog is doing alright tonight Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes to assist you both If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman