Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a boxer lab mix. 10 years old who has already had surgery

Customer Question

I have a boxer lab mix. 10 years old who has already had surgery to remove a digit from a hind leg and another tumor between toes on other foot. Now is crossing his hide legs and falling at times, can't go down steps by herself or get on and off furniture without help. Very concerned. Vet said possibly neurological and she is overweight by about 25lbs. I know I have to work on her weight but feel even if she loses weight, she won't last very long.cant tell if she is in pain
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No but yesterday when she had a bowel movement she almost fell on her poop but I was able to get to her to avoid it. People are telling me to put her down but she is my love and her mind is great.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like you are definitely seeing neurologic signs. The cause is tough to determine. You really need an MRI and spinal tap (CSF tap) to know for sure. The main causes are: tumor pressing on the spinal cord, degenerative myelopathy, disc herniation or meningitis. I think the most likely is spread of the cancer/ tumor that was previously removed. If it was a mast cell tumor, they can spread to the spinal canal. The second most likely would be degenerative myelopathy. Here is some information on that condition:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2600 A disc herniation is also possible, but less likely given her age. To know for sure, though, I would get a consult with a veterinary neurologist and get the imaging done.I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?