Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

There. We have a 12 year old golden Lab mix with Weimerreiner

Customer Question

Hi there. We have a 12 year old golden Lab mix with Weimerreiner (mostly lab). She has not been feeling well this week. She's older and lays around a lot but would still get excited about us coming home or food. Lately, in the last few days, she won't eat. Yesterday I gave her her 2 cups of vet-bought dog food and had to put a Tbsp of water and Tbsp of gravy to get her to eat
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Morgan
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Morgan?
Customer: she has some arthritis but not too bad. Today we tried putting a little chicken broth in her dog food to entice her and she did eat some, but 5 min later threw up and it looked as if it was bile
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Morgan has not been feeling well, eating poorly and today vomited her food after eating with some yellow, bile liquid. Yellow in the vomit means that the small intestine is refluxing bile into the stomach so that when she vomits you see the yellow color. That isn't normal as bile doesn't belong in the stomach, and it does mean that there is some reverse motility, but it isn't specific for any particular disease process. In many cases a poor appetite and vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors, or a dietary allergy or sensitivity.More serious causes of her symptoms include viral or bacterial infections, chronic pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction, an abdominal mass (tumor) putting pressure on the gastrointestinal tract or infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma. Since she is an older girl we do need to consider more serious causes like organ failure or an abdominal mass and because this has been lingering for more than 24-48 hours (which is usually the time it takes mild stomach upset to pass) ideally she would see her family veterinarian now.In the meantime it may also be helpful to put her on an acid reducing medication as too much stomach acid, especially on an empty stomach, is very irritating and predisposes to vomiting.I recommend either: 1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours These are both acid reducers and either one could help her feel better. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary. You might also consider feeding a homemade bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats drained off the meat after cooking, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. I recommend adding probiotics like Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac to her meals daily to re-establish normal gut bacteria levels too.If she continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense painful belly or if she continues to refuse to eat she should see a veterinarian for an examination, and some diagnostic testing. I would start with a complete blood count and biochemistry profile, a specific test for pancreatitis called canine specific pancreatic lipase, as well as radiographs of her abdomen.Please let me know if you have other details or a particular question based upon my response.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****