Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Dog ate 50 mg metoprolol. Weight 90 lb. help!

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has it been since he took the metoprolol? 2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
15 minutes. Yes have peroxide but this guy is very difficult about things like this. Unlikely to have success getting it into him
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Friend, the therapeutic dose for metoprolol in dogs is between 0.2-1mg/kg, in this case your dog took a dose of 1.22mg/kg. Unlikely for this dose to be life threatening. However, to be on the safe side you can try to induce vomiting with peroxide. This is what you can do: 1- Give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting. You can mix the peroxide with a tablespoon of milk and see if he will drink it on his own. 2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the pill in the vomit I would observe him for the day. Symptoms that would require a vet visit are: Lethargy, changes in respiration, pale gums, etc. If no symptoms by the end of the day highly unlikely for any symptoms to develop. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.