petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

There JA: . What is your issue regarding? Customer:

Customer Question

Hello there
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Wow. I have a 4 month old puppy. He has all his shots except rabies, which he just became due for yeaterday. He is neutered. Male black lab mix. Yesterday he threw up two times and now has a green Eye discharge. This morning no appetite. Other than that he seems fine
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Hard to tell. He's in my backyard a lot, and is constantly chewing on my plants
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Luke
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luke?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Luke today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you. Vomiting and loss of appetite in a young dog is always a concern, especially if it is possible he may have eaten something he shouldn't have. In many cases, it is a simple gastritis and the fast alone will help the GI tract to recover and in a short while they will be back to normal. As far as the eye discharge, when you are seeing a green color, it tells you that there is a bacterial conjunctivitis. This can be due to many things including irritation, allergy, or even trauma. These needed to be treated by a veterinarian so that they can make sure there is no damage to the surface of the eye and prescribe the appropriate medication. I would urge you to have Luke evaluated by your veterinarian soon, especially if the vomiting or lack of appetite persists. In the meantime, keep any discharge from building up around his eyes by wiping gently with a warm water cloth. You can try flushing his eyes with eyewash or saline solution (like contact wearers use) if they seem to bother him until you can get him in.I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Think i can eait a day or two to see if it improves, or do you recommend rushing to vet? You said "see a vet soon" but not sure what that means
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Wait a day or two
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.
As far as the not eating, in a pup that young, I would not wait more than 24 hours. The same with the eyes, if you rinse them and they are irritated and still producing discharge, I would act sooner versus later. Eye conditions can progress quickly so if not improving over the next day, I would get him in.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. I am out of town on business, thats why i ask. But i can get them into vet by tomorrow morning 7 am.
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.
In the meantime, try to offer a small amount of boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or some scrambled eggs to keep his blood glucose from dropping too low. Even a little bit of broth would be fine as long as it is not greasy. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time or ice chips as well.