Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I gave my 2 small dogs flea drops today and they are both having

Customer Question

I gave my 2 small dogs flea drops today and they are both having strange reactions to it. My smaller dog is wimpering and almost like she wants to climb out of her skin. I have bathed them and don't know what else to do. Help!! Thank you, Susan
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today. What brand have you used? Was it the right dose for their size?How long after application did you wash them? Any residue on the skin?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hi again Susan,Since I have not heard back from you, I will post my thoughts on what you have told me. Now their signs are not uncommon. We can see some dogs react to this product with transient skin irritation. When this happens, they are often agitated, stressed, and the skin can get quite irritated. Now it does tend to be a product reaction that will settle with 48 hours. Still further to bathing the product off ( use dish soap and cool water if it's still on the skin and coat), you can also start them on an antihistamine like Benadryl (0.5-2 mg per pound of their weight every 8-12 hours). This will reduce the irritation and help them settle. When you give this, you may wish to start at the lower end of the dose range since this can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with their vet first if they've any known health issues or are on any other medications. And if their reaction lingers despite this, we would want to have their vet treat them with a strong long acting steroid injection to nip this reaction in the bud. All the best,Dr. B