Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Ear infecdtion - consdtantly shaking his head. I dtreated

Customer Question

ear infecdtion - consdtantly shaking his head. I dtreated with Novo-lexin 500mg - e
JA: Huh?
Customer: 2 pills every 12 hours for 1 days. It appeared to have cleared up but now a week later the head shaking is resumed. He is a Bouvieer weighs about 125 pouinds.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is***** was seen by a vet and the meds were prescribed by vet. I would like to continue the meds,but can't affo
rd vet prsices ($1.99 per pill)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bob?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I'm so sorry Bob is dealing with a terrible ear infection. The bad news is that cephalexin derivative will not work well for most ear infections (taken by mouth or topically). When given orally, cephasporins just don't get to the ear effectively. Treatment most commonly requires a topical medication. And, it is important your vet determine if this is bacterial or a yeast infection which will require a swab and viewing this when stained under a microscope. Then appropriate medication can be prescribed.I so much wish I had an easy over-the-counter alternative to save you a repeat veterinary visit or consult, but if the infection is this bad and cleaning with appropriate dog ear cleanser is not helping, then this is going to require prescription medication to clear (a topical). Since he was already seen by his vet, you can probably call and say the medication prescribed is not working and see if your vet has another alternative for you. If you have financial constraints, as it sounds, then be up front about this. Perhaps, your vet has some donated medications that might be helpful or another less expensive alternative. WE are pros at working within a budget and our goal is to help Bob feel better. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.