Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My pekinés dog was running and he suddenly hurt his back and

Customer Question

My pekinés dog was running and he suddenly hurt his back and can't move his back legs. He is in pain.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Markus and he 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Markus?
Customer: It happen to him another time probably 2 years ago and we took him to the Clínic and they said was typical of this kind of dogs.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about Markus. It sounds as if he could suffer from intervertebral disk disease (basically a "slipped disc", where one of the disks between his vertebrae is compressing his spinal cord causing pain and disrupting nerve pathways so that he is unable to use his hind legs). If he is unable to walk, this is considered an emergency, and a visit to the emergency vet is recommended to get him started right away on pain medication, muscle relaxer, and anti inflammatory if they feel medical treatment is appropriate (versus surgical treatment). Here is an article on this condition: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3223. As you are getting ready to take him to the emergency vet, if he will allow it you can try putting an ice pack (a bag of frozen peas or veggies wrapped in a thin towel works well, be sure not to put ice or ice pack directly on the skin) over the back for 10 minutes or in the car while you are driving, this may decrease swelling and provide some pain relief until he can start his medication.
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay