Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog ate sand at the beach and is having trouble pooping

Customer Question

my dog ate sand at the beach and is having trouble pooping
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog. Can you tell me, is he still eating and drinking normally? Any vomiting? How long has the pooping issue been going on for? Is his energy level normal?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Since last night. Just seems constipated. Ate his breakfast. Not drinking a lot of water
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
And his energy level is normal? Not vomiting?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No voniting. A bit lethargic.
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Ok. Sometimes if dogs ingest a large amount of sand, it can cause an impaction in the bowel. I would recommend getting a laxative that you can find in the pet store for cats for hairballs, such as this: http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/tomlyn-laxatone-tuna-flavored-hairball-lubricant, which is a a flavored petrolatum based lubricant, most dogs will like the flavors (usually can choose from a few different flavors) and will eat it, or you can put it on their food, or into their mouth. I would give him a few tablespoons. If he is still not pooping within 12 hours, or if at any point he stops eating, starts vomiting, becomes more lethargic, acts like his abdomen is painful, then these would be reasons to seek veterinary care ASAP. Some of these guys end up needs fluid therapy and prescription strength laxatives to help the sand pass, and in severe cases may need surgery. Hopefully his case is milder since he is not vomiting, but it is better to bring him in early and be safe than wait too long and have his condition decline. Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Just checking to see how your dog is doing? Has he started to poop normally?
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay