Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My ***** ***** has a large tumor on front left shoulder not

Customer Question

my ***** ***** has a large tumor on front left shoulder not sure if cancer or not but what can be done to help shrink tumor
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog. Has this tumor been examined by a vet yet? Unfortunately, there isn't really much you can do to "shrink" a tumor. Unless it is a cystic tumor. In that case, sometimes the tumor may be drained with a needle, but it is quite likely it will refill and return to the previous size over time. In some cases, depending on the type of tumor, prednisone (a steroid) may also shrink the size temporarily. But this is only in certain types of tumors, and is also not a long term fix. If you visit a vet, they can do what is called a needle aspirate, which can be done with your pet awake, to collect a small sample of cells from the tumor. This can help identify the type of tumor and the best way in which to proceed.
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Peanut. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Hello, just wondering if you got my response and if you had any questions?