Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Cattahoula/pitt. Throwing up and can't get his back legs under

Customer Question

Cattahoula/pitt. Throwing up and can't get his back legs under neath him. He won't eat either. What can a vet do for him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** must say I am quite concerned about Bailey. If he is so weak he cannot stand, then we are best to have him seen urgently. Your local vet can pinpoint the cause of his signs (ie infection, pancreatitis, organ troubles, cancer, IBD, or toxins, etc) and initiate injectable anti-nausea treatment, fluids, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to get him feeling better. Otherwise, in the meantime, I would note some supportive care you can try as long as he hasn't had anything toxic and isn't dehydrated (since those are red flags of needing to have him seen urgently). To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And again if he cannot keep these down, then we'd need your vet to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. Though if he can, we can try offering a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. Therefore, in his case, we need to tread with care. If he is very weak and struggling, then we'd be best to have him seen now to get him back on track. Though any delay and we can try the above to try to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, check that his organs are healthy, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )