petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

I have a 2 german sheperds, brother and sister, they are

Customer Question

I have a 2 german sheperds, brother and sister, they are approximately 12 years old.
the female is experiencing just within the last week bladder leaking and dripping urine as she walks across the room.
is there anything to help with this problem.the male had experienced for a little while now, some urine drippage and that he will drop feces when he walks across the room, and now the problem is worsening because when he sits up fecal matter seeps out and he leaves a big smeared spot on the floor. Naturally, this is leaving a horrible stinch in the house and is providing so much extra clean up. We love them and do not want to banish either of them to the outside, I am just at witts end over what to do. at this point i do not have the funds for a lot of vet bills and tests.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 months ago.
In regards ***** ***** female, urinary incontinence can develop as the urethra loses some of it's ability to constrict and keep the urine from leaking out of the bladder. This is especially more prevalent in spayed females as they age. There are medications that may help, but need to be prescribed by your veterinarian after a urine sample is checked to make sure there are not other causes for this to be occurring. As far as the male, If there is both urine and fecal leakage, I would be more concerned with a possible neurologic issue affecting the nerves that supply the urinary tract and the colon. If that is the case, there may not be much that can be done, but I would start with at least an exam to see if there is any other evidence of neurologic disease. In the meantime, increasing the fiber in his diet may help to bulk it up a little and may help with the mess. On a large dog, 1 tablespoon of metamucil to his meal is where I would start. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z