Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Yes my chihuahua has been Ito JA: I'll do all I can to help.

Customer Question

Yes my chihuahua has been Ito
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: Yes my chihuahua has been itching for a very long time now. I have taken her to the vet. They have given her steroid shots, flea shot, special shampoo and change her food and now she has bitten her tail raw. She needs help and I tried to get to a vet that knows and still no results. Please help!!!
JA: Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: Only when she stretches to hard. I put a top on her so she can reach her back, so I guess she went for the tail and legs.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gloria, 10yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gloria?
Customer: No that is it. She has been itching for years now and I have tried everything. They tested for yeast no yeast they have test for everything. Gloria is a healthy dog besides the itching. She does have a little sister name Victory who is a mini-poodle.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I have completed the payment. I will wait to her from you!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry to hear about Gloria's itching. My name is***** am a veterinarian with 30 years experience.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Did the steroids help when they were tried?If she is this itchy, she may have allergies to things in her environment or something she is eating. I would first try the new allergy medication Apoquel. It helps about 80% of itchy dogs, sometimes in just a few days. It is a prescription, so you have to get it from a veterinarian who has seen and examined her.I would also have a veterinarian or groomer check her anal glands since she is biting her tail. They may be impacted. Trying a limited ingredient or hydrolized protein dog food may help if this is due to food allergies. Let me know if this helps and what else I can answer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Apoquel has side effects that is not good for Gloria. Is there any natural/organic medication that can be given to her that will help her?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Interesting, what side effects? The thing I like about Apoquel is the lack of side effects! What happened when you tried it?There are supplements that may help. You have to try them in turn, or as combinations. Every allergy case is different so there is no one supplement that works for every dog. I use Quercetin, nettles, anti oxidants, fish oil, and probiotics. Evening primrose oil helped one very itchy dog but not any others I have tried it on.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
I just closed your other questions so you would not be charged extra for multiple questions! Please just respond to me here. Let me know what else I can answer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
According to the website when I looked it up, the side effects that was stated was vomiting and diarrhea. And sense she little and already miserable I did not want to add to it....LOL!!!! I want her around a long time she very healthy but for the natural did they work for the dogs in her category?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
I have started dozens of dogs on Apoquel, and have not had this problem. Not all dogs stop itching on it, however. The natural things I mentioned varied from dog to dog. None of these supplements stop the itching entirely like I see with Apoquel, but they help. Have you tried antihistamines like Benadryl or Claritin? Those combined with supplements help some dogs. There is no surefire treatment for allergies, every dog and every case is different. You just have to try different things to see what works for her.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok so I will have the Vet try this Apoquel to see how it works.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
I sure would try it if she were my own dog. Let me know if this answer was helpful and if I can answer anything else.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Can I help with or answer anything else? Your question stays open until you rate my answer!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
How is Gloria doing?