Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital

He woke up today and seems weak and is leaking urine..what

Customer Question

He woke up today and seems weak and is leaking urine..what do you think?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: He is German short haired pointer. He is very tired and weak. He is also dripping urine. He has not shown any signs of illnesses before.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ranger he is about 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ranger?
Customer: His hind end seems weak
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I am Dr Ola and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am so sorry to hear that Ranger isn't feeling well.. Did Ranger have any recent injuries or periods of increased exertion that you can remember? Is his appetite and drinking level normal at this point?My concern when hearing symptoms of hind end weakness with urine leaking is the possibility of a injury along the spinal cord (such as a intervertebral disc herniation or nerve compression). Urinary leaking/incontinence can also occur secondarily to this but in a middle age to older dog can also be associated with decreased bladder sphincter control. My recommendation would be for Ranger to have this seen and worked up by his regular veterinarian. This would include a physical exam, neurological exam, x-rays of spine and hips, blood work (including complete blood count, blood chemistry) as well as a urinalysis. These diagnostics will help determine if an injury may be present as well as other organ issues and/or infection. In the event of a spinal cord compression, signs of weakness in the hind limbs can progress to complete paralysis of hind limbs.. Therefore, having him be seen by his doctor as soon as possible is very important!I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything or have other questions about this. Also, please do not forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be "excellent." You may do this by clicking "rate our conversation" below (Your rating is the only means of compensation I receive for answering your question). Again, let me know if I can help you further:)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Ola Barrett