Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog was diagnosed with heart disease last November and is

Customer Question

My dog was diagnosed with heart disease last November and is now having seizures. I was reading up on seizure causes and one cause was a build up of toxins. I noticed when my dog has seizures that his urine smells awful! I didn't know if that implied some sort of toxin build up?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ali. He's a 13 year old boxer
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ali?
Customer: Three years ago he was randomly paralyzed for a week. After steroids he was able to walk again. Makes me wonder if there's a brain tumor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Ali. You're correct to consider brain tumor in a seizuring 13 year old Boxer - the most common cause of seizures in Boxers of his age. The seizures shouldn't be related to his heart disease unless you're actually seeing syncopal (fainting) episodes instead of seizures. Please describe to me what you're witnessing when he "seizes". His odiferous urine might well be infected but a urinary tract infection is an unlikely cause of seizures.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He usually jumps off the sofa or is running around barking at something when they happen. He just suddenly stops, then starts walking all wobbly, then will fall to his side. His legs extend to their fullest and his head/neck extends all the way back. And he always empties his bladder. It's happened 4 times now, 3 times in the last 6 weeks. Last night was the first time he woke up and went into a seizure. He usually is in that attack for about 5 minutes then he just lays on the ground not moving, like he's paralyzed. After about 10-15 minutes finally he'll get up again and then acts like nothing happened.
Thank you for the good description of a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure). Ali's vet can prescribe an anticonvulsant medication such as phenobarbital, levetiracetam, or zonisamide. Unfortunately, brain tumor-induced seizures are very difficult to control medically. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?