Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She has a sore paw. It is the inner parts of her pads. I took

Customer Question

She has a sore paw. It is the inner parts of her pads. I took her to a vets 6 weeks ago who said she had an allergic reaction to something and gave her a course of antibiotics and a steroid injection. She was worse a week later even though she was wearing a cone. Took her to another vets for a second opinion and they said she had hayfever. Tried antihistamine for two weeks, still no improvement. Then told to just bah it. Her paw is now swollen. Please if you have any advice before I take her on the vets that would be great
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lilly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lilly?
Customer: She is 9 years old, a Staffordshire bull terrier. Other wise in good health. She currently can't put any weight on her paw.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Angela. Can you upload a photo(s) of Lilly's paw to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. You appear to be describing an interdigital pododermatitis which can be caused by bacterial, fungal and yeast (Malassezia) infections, demodicosis (the Demodex mange mite), trombiculiasis (chiggers/unlikely), hookworm dermatitis (unlikely), atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, dust mites, etc./unlikely is just one paw is affected), food hypersensitivity (unlikely if just one paw if affected), contact dermatitis, interdigital pyogranuloma, and neoplasia/cancer (unlikely). The proper manner in which to proceed is to perform a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of affected skin surface) looking for abnormal numbers of either bacteria or yeast and skin scrapings looking for Demodex +/- a fungal culture and then treat predicated upon the findings of testing. Steroids should be avoided if an infectious agent is present as they'll make resolving an infection quite difficult. If an interdigital pyogranuloma(s) is present it needs to be recognized and treated more intensively - even surgically if necessary - and so Lilly's vet needs to have a high suspicion for that frustrating interdigital skin disorder. If two vets have been unable to help Lilly, please consider having her see a specialist veterinary dermatologist (rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-referrals/dermatology)Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.